Today’s daily news for download covering national, international, sports and economics current affairs. Important news has been decoded for better understanding.
Today’s National News Current Affairs – 24 December 2016
Here are all important happening and developments in the National sphere.
☀ President Pranab Mukherjee has given his assent to the Enemy Property (Amendment and Validation) Fifth Ordinance 2016.
- Note that: The ordinance was re-issued as a bill to amend the law could not be passed in Parliament due to repeated adjournments over the demonetisation issue. It was first time promulgated on 7th January, 2016.
- This law is being made to amend the nearly five-decade- old Enemy Property Act to guard against claims of succession or transfer of properties left by people who migrated to Pakistan and China after wars.
☀ 24th December is the National Consumer Day. On this day, the Consumer Protection Act, 1986 had received the assent of the President. It is an opportunity to promote the basic rights of all consumers.
- Theme for 2016 is- “Alternate Consumer Disputes Redressal“
☀ The Karnataka government will provide 100% quota to local Kannadigas in private sector industries across the state for blue collar jobs.
- The state labour minister has released a draft amendment to the Industrial Employment (Standing Orders) Rules of 1961.
- It proposes 100% reservation for local Kannadigas in all blue-collar jobs, except the information technology and biotechnology sectors.
Who is Blue collar ? A blue collar is a working-class person historically defined by hourly rates of pay and manual labor. A blue collar worker refers to the fact that most manual laborers at the turn of the century wore blue shirts, which could hold a little dirt around the collar without standing out.
This working class stands in contrast to white collar workers, which historically have had the higher-paying, salaried positions to go with their clean and pressed white shirts.
☀ The Union Home Ministry has sanctioned 37,000 additional troops to CISF in order to strengthen security at critical infrastructures like airports and metros.
- Note that: The Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) guards 59 civil airports, while 3,000 of its personnel are deployed to guard the Delhi Metro.
☀ The Union Water Resources Ministry has reconstituted the Committee tasked with assisting the Krishna River Management Board (KRMB). Head of this new committee is A.K. Bajaj (former chairman of the Central Water Commission (CWC))
☀ India’s Test captain Virat Kohli has topped Forbes India’s Fame Rankings, based on the popularity of a celebrity. He is followed by actors Salman Khan and Shah Rukh Khan at 2nd and 3rd position respectively.
- Note : Virat ranks overall third on the Forbes India Celebrity 100 list, with earnings of ₹134.44 crore in 2016. Here Salman Khan tops the list followed by Shahrukh Khan.
☀ The Union Ministry of Coal has launched Coal Mitra, a web portal for allowing flexibility in utilization of domestic Coal.
☀ Delhi Lieutenant Governor Najeeb Jung has put in his papers for resignation. He plans to return to the life of academics. Note that: Jung was Chancellor of Jamia Milia Islamia University earlier.
Important International Current Updates – 24 December 2016
The following international news has important daily current affairs which you must know as an aspirant for exams conducted by UPSC and State PSCs.
☀ China, world’s largest emitter of CO2, has launched atmospheric CO2-monitoring TanSat satellite.
- It will allow China to keep a close eye on greenhouse gas emissions and give it a ‘louder voice’ in future negotiations on carbon reduction.
- The satellite will measure global carbon dioxide levels every 16 days over the next three years and help policy makers and scientists gather independent climate change data.
- Notably, China has become third country in the World to launch a CO2 monitoring satellite, others are USA and Japan.
☀ After the United States abstained from voting, the UN Security Council passed a resolution demanding Israel to stop building settlements on occupied Palestinian territory.
- It was put forward at the 15-member council for a vote by New Zealand, Malaysia, Venezuela and Senegal.
- It is the first resolution the Security Council has adopted on Israel and the Palestinians in nearly eight years.
☀ Russia has sent a battalion of military police in Aleppo, to maintain law and order in the liberated territories, after the Syrian regime took full control of the demolished city.
- The Russian military police is a subdivision of the military that is meant to ensure order and discipline in the army.
☀ The Canada has declared high-speed internet a basic telecommunications service and wants its citizens to have access to an unlimited data plan option and speeds of at least 50 Mbps. Until now, only landline telephone was considered a basic service in the country.
☀ All passengers on board the Libyan flight which has been hijacked and diverted to Malta where it landed earlier, have been freed. The hijackers are now negotiating for asylum in Malta. The two hijackers had earlier threatened to blow up the Airbus A320 with grenades.
☀ US President-elect Donald Trump has chosen Peter Navarro, economist and author of ‘Death by China’, to head the newly-formed White House National Trade Council.
☀ India will export to Nepal an additional 240 MW of electricity in order to lessen the power shortage there. An agreement was signed to this effect in New Delhi between Nepal Electricity Authority (NEA) and state-owned NTPC Vidyut Vyapar Nigam (NVVN).
☀ Japan has approved a record $43.6 billion for its Defence budget out of its $830 billion spending budget for fiscal 2017. This comes amid Japan’s increasing tensions with China and North Korea.
Daily Economics Current Affairs – 24 December 2016
The following economics current news update will also help in developing a better understanding of Economy and increasing your financial awareness.
☀ Shareholders of Tata Motors have voted to remove independent director Nusli Wadia from the board of directors at an extraordinary general meeting. 71 per cent of the shareholders voted in favour of a resolution moved by Tata Sons to remove Mr Wadia as independent director of Tata Motors.
☀ Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has opened a banking ombudsman office in Dehradun, Uttarakhand.
- The Banking Ombudsman office receives and considers complaints relating to deficiencies in banking or other services filed by consumers.
- The Office of the Banking Ombudsman at RBI Dehradun will have the jurisdiction over the entire Uttarakhand and also the seven districts of western Uttar Pradesh.
- Dehradun office is the third in North India after Kanpur and Chandigarh.
- With this, the total number of RBI ombudsman offices have increased to 17 in India.
☀ The government will launch Lucky Grahak Yojana for Consumers and Digi-Dhan Vyapar Yojana for Merchants in New Delhi. These schemes are aimed at encouraging people to move towards significantly higher usage of digital transactions through the offer of incentives.
☀ Samsonite-owned American Tourister has appointed India’s Test captain Virat Kohli as its Brand Ambassador. Kohli has become the first Indian brand ambassador of the global luggage brand.
24 December 2016 – Important Sports Current Affairs
The following important current affairs about sports news are relevant from exam point of view.
☀ Sixteen-time world champion Pankaj Advani has ended the year on a high, by bagging the National title in 6-red Snooker, the shorter format of the game. Advani is the only player in the world to win all titles — National, Continental and World — in 6-red Snooker.
☀ India beat hosts Sri Lanka by 34 runs and has lift the Asian Cricket Council Under-19s Asia Cup title.
☀ India’s seasoned Winter Olympian Shiva Keshavan has clinched a gold medal at the Asian Luge Championships at Nagano in Japan. Japan’s Tanaka Shohei came in second for the Silver and Chinese Taipei’s Lien Te-An has clenched the bronze.
We hope this compilation was useful for going through today’s important news. Please share your comments with us. Have a Good Day!