Knowing the syllabus of the exam is the first thing to do for the preparation. The Union Public Service Commission conducts the Civil Service Examination for selection into the IAS, IPS, IFS, IRS, and other allied services.
This CSE exam is conducted in three phases – preliminary, main, interview. All applicants first face the prelims exam and majority of them get eliminated at this stage itself. Given the low pass through rate of this stage, it is important to prepare for the UPSC prelims exam in a holistic manner.
UPSC CSE Preliminary Examination 2017 Syllabus
The UPSC Preliminary Examination shall comprise two compulsory papers of 200 marks each.
Paper I – (200 marks) Duration : Two hours [Score counted for selection for Mains]
- Current events of national and international importance.
- History of India and Indian National Movement.
- Indian and World Geography – Physical, Social, Economic Geography of India and the World.
- Indian Polity and Governance – Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights Issues, etc.
- Economic and Social Development Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector initiatives, etc.
- General issues on Environmental Ecology, Bio-diversity and Climate Change – that do not require subject specialization.
- General Science.
Paper II CSAT- (200 marks) Duration: Two hours [Only qualifying : minimum 33% = 67 marks]
- Interpersonal skills including communication skills;
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability
- Decision-making and problem-solving
- General mental ability
- Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude, etc.) (Class X level), Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc. – Class X level).
You can download UPSC civil services preliminary (CSP) exam syllabus pdf with the download button given on top and keep it with you for future reference. Aspirants are advised to prepare for the prelims with reference to the topics specified in the upsc prelims syllabus 2017.